The Grape Leaf Inn was built in the year 1900 by local contractor, W.H. Pierce.
The Queen Anne style was typical of a turn-of-the century middle class dream house in Healdsburg,
especially in the exclusive Johnson Street area, known by locals as “Nob Hill.”
The owner of the property at the time of its construction was August Lund, an upwardly mobile blacksmith at the time.
Born in Sweden in 1863, Lund immigrated to the U.S. in 1884 and purchased this property in 1894.
In 1898, Lund went into partnership with a Mr. York in a blacksmith shop on Healdsburg Avenue, but by the end of the year, Lund was the sole owner. After having this home built in 1900, Lund then subdivided the remainder of the lot in 1903 and contracted for the building of three identical Queen Anne cottages to the south of his home. By 1907, Lund sold these new cottages, as well as his original home and blacksmith business, to N.A. Seipel. He then bought land in Alexander Valley and farmed with his wife, Lillile, until his death is 1938.
The home would later be sold again and, eventually, went on to be turned into a bed and breakfast.
Some years later, the inn was purchased by the Wilson family, who still own it to this day.